Digital transformation had a significantly impact on any kind of industry by bringing benefits that were unimaginable before. In particular, digitization in construction industry turned this sector upside-down thanks to the use of digital tools that simplified and made faster every process. Although there are companies that are still struggling to get digitized, the smartest ones have already been adopting these new technologies and the benefits they got are proven by various data.
According to Reinventing Construction: A route to higher productivity, a McKinsey Global Institute report, “if construction companies invest in digitization while also continuing to embrace new materials and advanced automation, they could see a 50-60 percent increase in their overall productivity”. This represents a big advantage if we consider that, always according to this report, “labor productivity across all industries has jumped 2.8 percent over the past two decades, the construction industry has only seen a one percent productivity increase over the same period”.
But what are the benefits that come from digital transformation? Mike Merrill, COO at WorkMarx, says that “this makes the field data collection process more efficient, improves time tracking accuracy, and centralizes the field data for global visibility. By turning away from cumbersome practices and investing in digitization, construction companies can level up their businesses, improving processes and systems to make employees more productive, reduce overall costs and, consequently, increase profitability”.
Nevertheless, construction industry is still one of the least digitized sectors, therefore it’s essential to start to invest in technologies that can really support the workforce and help companies to be more productive. That’s fine, but what does it mean investing in technologies? What are the right ones that can fit your needs make a step into the digitization in construction industry? We have an idea, let’s see it!
Low-Code: a solution to get digitization benefits
If you’ve never heard about low-code technology, we’re here to tell you how it works and how it represents a great choice to start you process of digitization. Basically, this technology allows you to create business apps without the use of code. As a matter of fact, anyone can do it, since it doesn’t require any programming background, through a drag-and-drop tool that allows you to accelerate the apps process creation.
Moreover, this accessibility creates a big advantage because final users of the apps become the developers, who have a deep knowledge about the business needs. This allows to have more specific and pertinent applications since they now collaborate with IT department. Moreover, low-code technology marks the entrance of citizen developers who can create much needed apps, thanks to a simpler development path. This approach allows the launch of new ideas which can be iterated more quickly.
However, how low-code can be so useful for the process of digitization in construction industry? Well, in this sector there’s a lot of paper needed for different kinds of document, such as the equipment management form, safety inspection form, workorders, or spreadsheets to track employees’ working hours in order to process payrolls. Consequently, how do you create these forms so that they reflect your specific needs?
In this case, low-code is a wonderful solution, but you need a provider that guarantees you to create these forms through a friendly UI, and to add all the tools that you may wish. The perfect provider we want to present you is TDox.
TDox: Low-Code provider for your working activities
Yes, TDox represents the perfect solution, because it offers specific features that meet the construction company necessities. In fact, TDox has two important peculiarities to support digitization in construction industry:
- Multi-Experience feature. TDox is a multi-experience development platform (MXDP), so it allows you to digitize business processes by making them available on web app and on Android and iOS mobile apps (the next implementation will be on smart glasses, see our road map to discover more). In this way, your employees receive on their mobile devices the information they need related to the tasks they have to perform. As a result of this, there’s no more need of paper and you can entrust on digital tools which consent you to save money, time and energies.
- Low-Code technology approach. Of course, as we said, TDox uses low-code to consents you to generate forms and to manage workforce activities. Besides creating forms, you have access to planning tools like TDox’s Agenda, through which you can warn your workforce about urgencies, deadlines, or schedule changes or simply about the daily tasks to be performed. In fact, you can create a workload (read the full guide about TDox Workloads here) on webapp and then this is automatically sent to the operators who receive on their smartphone or tablet (here again the multi-experience feature) the task that has to be performed, so they can get rid of other dispersive communication tools like emails or instant messaging software, because they have all in one single platform.
If you think about these functionalities applied in the construction industry, you can notice how a big support they can give because they allow you to manage operations in a construction site in an easier and simpler manner. Add to these functions, we cannot omit the offline feature and the cloud capabilities. In fact, TDox’s engine is native offline, that means it is set on your mobile device. Consequently, if your employee must work in places where connection is low, he/she can keep doing it without any fear of losing data or without speed complication. It will be enough synchronizing data as soon as he/she gets access to an internet connection. Furthermore, all your documents can be saved on TDox cloud (XP Cloud) which is managed by our team, freeing you up from updates and other problems. Otherwise, you can use your cloud (Private Cloud) to get your own customized version of the software hosted on your cloud.
Add the function you need for more detailed reports
When you create a form with TDox, you have different functions that you can add to have a more detailed form, let’s see them:
- Camera integration. TDox is integrated with the camera of the mobile device, so operators can take pictures of the construction site or notify anomalies and damages. These pictures can be easily attached to the form and thanks to the time stamp, TDox is able to record the exact moment when the picture is taken. This integration also makes possible to read barcodes, a helpful tool that can be used to identify tools or specific material.
- Checklists. Create your own checklists with the material you need to check. For instance, you may need a checklist to check the activities to be done during the day or to control that the state of the equipment (if they need to be sent to repair, for instance), a solution that makes this activity even faster and reduces human errors.
- Digital Signature. Certify your documents with a digital signature, so you won’t have the problem to look for a pen anymore, you just need your finger!
- PDF Preview. A simple tool that allows to show a PDF preview to the client, so he’ll be aware of what he’s going to sign.
With the use of these features, TDox aims to facilitate workforce activities, so the difference that distinguishes this platform from other low-code provider is its attention to the employees. This brings as result higher standard levels and an increase in terms of productivity. Therefore, digitization in construction industry is now essential in order to make a further step into the future and to assure better results, so TDox is the perfect ally to face the new challenges that will come from the economic environment in which companies are struggling.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us to know more about TDox and what it can do for you. Furthermore, if you are interested in seeing what TDox looks like in action, request a free demo, and discover a new world of opportunities.
We’re low coding your business apps!
Request a Demo